Diverse representative liquors of Chungnam
2018.12.14(금) 10:23:40 | CNnews ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
▲ Myeoncheon Dugyeonju
In the past decade, the number of countries to which the Korean rice wine known as Makgeolli is exported to has increased remarkably from 8 in 2005 to 48 in 2015. Buoyed by this rising trend, Chungcheongnam-do has recently selected 10 tasty local liquors and assists with their PR marketing, etc.
We present to you 10 premium liquors of Chungnam that have been carefully chosen by experts and residents of the province.
1. Myeoncheon Dugyeonju (main ingredients: glutinous rice, wheat yeast, azalea / alcohol content: 18% / volume: 360ml / origin: Myeoncheon)
Being managed as an important cultural heritage, Myeoncheon Dugyeonju is a liquor that mixes hard-boiled glutinous rice and azalea flowers and is then brewed through a 100-day fermentation and aging. Its dark, golden color is fascinating and the liquor possesses a characteristic combination of sweet, bitter and savory tastes that naturally cling to your taste buds. It is not irritating despite a high alcohol content of 18% but gives a pungent feel spreading inside the mouth and an outstanding aftertaste that is sweet and long-lasting.
2. Soseono’s Dream (main ingredient: apple / alcohol content: 40% / volume: 250ml / origin: Yesan)
Named by Jung Je-min, the vice president of Yesan Apple Wine Co., Ltd. after the mother of Onjo, the founder of Baekje, and Biryu as well as the wife of Jumong who founded Goguryeo, “Soseono’s Dream” makes a person tipsy with only a sip due to a sweet scent that spreads from the tip of his/her nose. The wine is brewed by using Chusa Apples produced in Yesan, the hometown of Chusa Gim Jeong-hui. The “Chusa (秋史)” apples have an excellent sweet and sour scent unique to autumn apples.
3. Yi Sangheon Yakju (main ingredient: rice / alcohol content: 18% / volume: 500ml / origin: Asan)
Yi Sangheon Yakju boasts a remarkable balance and a deep taste. Unlike most yakju liquors produced in Korea that emphasize sweetness, Yi Sangheon Yakju subtly continues a combination of sweet and sour taste. The secret lies in enzyme supplements and refined yeast. Because all production is performed manually, the monthly production is limited to just 200 bottles.
4. Nokcheon Hansan Sogokju (main ingredients: non-glutinous rice, glutinous rice, wheat yeast, mother chrysanthemum / alcohol content: 18% / volume: 750ml / origin: Hansan)
Hard-boiled non-glutinous rice is used as the crude liquor to which hard-boiled glutinous rice and chrysanthemum are added. With an alcohol content of 16%, it is a type of liquor that is fermented and aged for 100 days and known for a sweet taste that clings to your mouth, while also having an excellent savory taste.
5. Wangyulju (main ingredients: non-glutinous rice, chestnuts / alcohol content: 33% / volume: 330ml / origin: Gongju)
Wangyulju is a distilled chestnut liquor made through a 1 week-long low-temperature fermentation of a mixture of chestnuts pieces and rice and a secondary fermentation for about 20 to 30 days before the final distillation stage. Once you have a sip of Wangyulju, the taste of chestnuts instantly fills your mouth and the sweet taste smoothly runs down the throat.
6. DureAng Brandy (main ingredient: Kyoho grapes / alcohol content: 35% / volume: 750ml / origin: Cheonan)
DureAng Brandy with its 35% alcohol content and with its wonderful color is made by fermenting Kyoho grapes harvested in September and distilling the resulting rose wine, the result of which is then ripened for about 7 years inside oak drums. The utilization of a reduced pressure distillation leaves no burnt smell and enables to enjoy the fresh scent of fruit in a richer manner.
7. Yeonmiju (main ingredients: non-glutinous rice, red ginseng and 6 other medicinal herbs / alcohol content: 13% / volume: 360ml / origin: Cheonan)
Yeonmiju is a type of Yakju that is fermented for more than 60 days and utilizes a raw rice fermentation method, in which the rice is not cooked but, instead, uses uncooked rice. It is known for a clean, soft golden color, a refreshing balance of sweetness and sourness, and the subtle scent of medicinal herbs and grains. Medical herbs such as Red ginseng, cornus fruit, milk vetch roots, Omija and boxthorns are used, and it goes along well with various kinds of fried fish.
8. Deoksan Raw Rice Makgeolli (main ingredient: non-glutinous rice / alcohol content: 6% / volume: 750ml / origin: Deoksan)
Deoksan Raw Rice Makgeolli is a rice wine that boasts a smooth gulp and a clean taste with a relatively low alcohol content of 6% which you can drink without burden. If you drink it with aromatically fried tofu-jeon, you can enjoy the taste and scent of Deoksan Raw Rice Makgeolli in a more flavorful fashion.
9. Ginseng Makgeolli (main ingredients: rice, ginseng / alcohol content: 6?8% / volume: 1800ml / origin: Geumsan)
Geumsan Ginseng Makgeolli is made by blending red ginseng extract and whole premium fresh ginseng. Thanks to an extended period of maturation, it boasts a rich scent and taste of ginseng. Because it is manufactured inside a cooler that maintains a constant temperature between 17 and 22 degrees Celsius, it produces a slightly bitter taste of crisp ginseng, which adds flavor to the makgeolli.
10. Asan Clean Water Rice Makgeolli (main ingredient: white rice / alcohol content: 6% / volume: 750ml / origin: Asan)
Asan Clean Water Rice Makgeolli, produced together by breweries in Asan, has a fascinatingly pungent and distinctive flavor. Thanks to the newly harvested rice of “Asan Clean Rice” used as the main ingredient, the taste is especially thick and clean. Once you have a sip, the carbonic acid unique to a fresh makgeolli fills your mouth. As a clean and refreshing scent hits the tip of your nose, you cannot help but automatically exclaiming ‘that’s refreshing.