메인메뉴 바로가기

  • home
  • CN INTRODUCTION
  • Chungnam's History
화면컨트롤메뉴
인쇄
화면확대
화면축소

History of Chungnam

TabMenu SubList

Origins
History
Traces of the Baekje Kingdom

Origins

Chungcheongnam-do (called Chungnam) is located in the central part of the peninsula, neighboring Gyeonggi-do in the north, Chungcheongbuk-do in the east, and Jeollabuk-do in the south. It borders the west sea. It also surrounds Daejeon.

With the discovery of paleolithic relics in Seokjang-ri, Janggi-myeon, Gongju (found in 1964) and bronze relics scattered all over the province, it seems that the people of Chungnam have lived together here since the prehistoric period. In addition, Woljiguk, which was a leading political area during the Samhan period, was located in the center of Mahan which once existed in Jiksan-myeon, Cheonan. Among the 54 minor states of Mahan, it seemed that 15 states were located in the Chungnam area. During the era of Three Kingdoms, Chungnam was a territory of the Baekje Kingdom. For 185 years from 475 A.D (when the capital was moved from Hanseong [now called Seoul] to Ungjin [now called Gongju] after Hanseong fell to Goguryeo) to 660 (when the kingdom of Baekje was conquered by the Silla-Dang forces), the glorious Baekje culture bloomed in Chungnam.

During the Unified Silla Kingdom, Chungnam was called "Ungjin Dodok-bu, Soburi-ju (Sabi), Ungcheon-bu, and Ung-ju." During the Post-Three Kingdoms Period, Chungnam was included in the territory of Post Baekje.

During the period of the Goryeo Dynasty, it was called "Hanam-do, Yanggwang-do, Chungcheongju-do, and Chungcheong-do." It was united with and separated from Gyeonggi-do several times.

During the Joseon period, Yanggwang-do was split into Chungcheong-do and Gyeonggi-do in 1397 (the 4th year of King Taejo), and Gamyeong was relocated from Chungju to Gongju in 1598 (the 31st year of King Seonjo). Since that time it has been called "Gongcheong-do, Chungcheong-do, Gonghong-do, Chunghong-do, and Gongchung-do." In 1834 (the 34th year of King Sunjo), it was renamed Chungcheong-do again. In 1896 (the 33rd year of King Gojong) after national reorganization into 13 provinces in accordance with Article 36 of the Imperial Command, it was finally called by its present name--Chungcheongnam-do.